Tuesday 2 December 2008

Bang bang kaboom kaboom #2

Continuing with the previous post..

Today I went into work's shipping department and checked out how much it'd cost me to ship the lens. It turned out to be $10 so I bit the nail and shipped it out. I thought about going with the store but decided against it. Why? Well...

1. If I ship it myself I can actually phone up Canon and track the repair progress myself
2. Turn around time is much shorter. Probably around 1 week to 1.5 weeks? It'd certainly be nice to get the lens back before xmas. At my current rate of picture taking (~30/day) I need my lens!

For now though I'm stuck with my 50mm prime lens. Well I suppose it's better than having no lens at all.
-----

The VOC has a weekly newsletter that informs ppl about the previous trips as well as upcoming trips. Conrad, the mail list editor usually puts in some funnies at the end of each email. This was from last week:

The inherent hotness of hotspring trips:
While I am no expert, I'd have to say that any hotsprings trip is, well, hot. First of all, the water is hot. This is clearly 'hot'. Sometimes it's even too hot. Would this make it less hot? Second, there is a lot of nakedness. While nakedness in the pursuit of water falls into the 'politically correct nakedness that is natural and beautiful and nothing to get all hot and bothered about' category, this can't entirely stamp out a certain inherent hotness to nakedness. Third, the last hotsprings trip had chocolate fondue. Can't cool that.

Unfortunately, not all Hot trips go to hot locations. Some of the hottest trips end up in the coldest locations. This week's question comes from Shivers:

Lying in my sleeping bag, sometimes I get awfully cold. I start to loose feeling in my toes, and my teeth start clinking. I don't know if I'll make it through the night. Even a hot trip can land you in a cold position. I'm sharing the tent with my driver, a scruffy looking fellow who I met this morning. Doesn't talk much, and I'm not quite sure of his name. Roy? – no, Ed? Unfortunately he's not the charming boy that smiles whenever we meet. I need to get through this night so I can see him tomorrow. How do I ask Ed to spoon me?

-Shivers

Apparently after reading this Laura & Sophia decided to send the following email to Ms. Manner:

Dear Ms Manners -

As we both know, the key to a successful trip is all in the planning ahead. Keeping that in mind, here is some advice for Shivers. Shivers, to avoid the awkward, "Can we spoon?" scenario, I do suggest you plan ahead well before your car group leaves Vancouver. Firstly, you want to sign up for the car group with Monkey in it and then mention to Monkey that you don't have a tent. This should secure yourself a spot in Monkey's tent. From here, it is easy. Before your toes go numb, roll close to Monkey, concave your body, and let the heat transfer begin with the VOC's official spooner. Don't feel awkward. You aren't the first to spoon with Monkey, nor will you be the last. Some would even say, spooning with Monkey is a right of passage for all VOC females.

Now, if you are planning on going on some trips that Monkey is not going on, I do suggest buying a warmer sleeping bag or nesting the ones you own!

Laura forwarded me this email today and I had a pretty good laugh about it (it's funny b/c when I met Laura & Sophia on separate trips they were both very cold at night so we ended up spooning as per their requests). Not too sure if it'll make it onto the weekly newsletter though...

---

In case you're wondering why I probably won't be heading out to ski this weekend:

BC South Coast Avalanche Forecast

LOW avi danger in all zones - alpine, treeline, below treeline.

I got a kick from the following:
-Confidence: Fair. Many areas in the region do not have enough snow to produce avalanches; however, there is still a lack of good information to base this forecast on.

----

Here's you have it folks, just another crazy day in Monkey's life. :D