Monday 1 December 2008

Bang bang kaboom kaboom!!!

Due to prior arrangements I spent the weekend in Vancouver. I'm quite glad I did though, it'd have sucked to head out to the backcountry trying to ski since it rained all weekend!

After my Friday night photography class it was pissing rain and I was too lazy to go anywhere. So I watched Get Smart on my newly purchased MacBook Pro. Watching this movie further confirmed my crush on Anne Hathaway. I think I'll continue drooling over her.

On Sat I met up with Lorraine & Jen at Cafe Luxy for brunch. You see, the three of us used to live together in a basement suite in Kits from 2005-2006. I've met up with the two ladies separately on several occasions, but due to various reasons, the three of us have yet to meet up together since we moved out. Not seeing each other for over 2.5 years, it's kinda funny we were cracking sarcastic jokes left, right & centre as soon as we sat down. It was as if we were still living together. We all have embarked on our own life journeys since moving out but it's comforting to know that the friendship will always be there. Such awesome event needs to be organized more often.

Me & Lorraine

After the brunch I wandered around town... going to Chapters to get my monthly dose of magazine reading done. I came back to the apartment around 4 pm, preparing to tidy it up for the Movember party later that night. To my pleasant surprise, Mike had already cleaned most of the apartment, leaving me with only the kitchen to clean. The Movember party itself was pretty ridiculous. The idea of the party is as follows:

-Grow a mustache for the month of November
-Gather at a month end party
-Get the girls to come up with different categories and decide on the winner.

I managed to get 10 of my guy friends to do this ridiculous task. Only about 3 of us hada  respectful stache growth. The rest of us had really patchy facial hairs that some puberty-hormone-filled high school kid can easily beat us...


The ladies got into the spirit too!


Ok everyone stroke your mo!


8 girls on my bed. This wasn't my idea...I swear, it was Greta's


Peter accepting "Most pre-pubescent" award
Guys having a pretty good laugh about this



Don't let your kids go near these guys


Sachi, Sarah, Greta & Sophia getting into the spirit


Agathe showing off her awesome stache

For more pics go here

Since Ian was having a birthday party involving 2 kegs at his place we moved our party over around 11 pm. I managed to drag my sleepy ass back home around 2:30 AM....

Right now if you're still reading, you're probably wondering what the title of the post has anything to do with the post...well it does. You see, I found out that my Canon 18- 55 mm IS lens went kaboom on me. The auto focus will only turn one way but not the other... making it almost impossible to take any pictures. Sure I could use manual focus but it's really a pain in the ass to do on such lens due to the crappy front focus ring element. Yes I still managed to take some good pics at the Movember party but some pictures were not-sharp due to miss focus. Since the camera & lens are still under warranty I went to Black's Photo yesterday to inquire about repair. Black's could send the lens to Canon for me but it'd take 6 weeks. I gave Canon a call this morning and found out the repair time to be about 15 business days. Taking shipping time into account, it'd probably take 4 to 4.5 weeks if I ship the lens myself.

So the question is.... what should I do?
1. Get Black's to send the lens for me and go zoom lens-less for 6 weeks.
2. Fork out $20+ and send the lens myself. I'll probably be zoom lens-less for 4-5 weeks.

Seeing that I have a hefty Visa bill to pay for this month I'll probably go with option one. I do have a 50 mm prime lens that I can use but it'd suck not to have a zoom lens to use over the holidays. ARRRRR!!!